Thursday, September 11, 2008

Arrival and the Things That Really Are

Irish bartenders really do pour a Guinness and then let it sit. I forgot that just a moment ago, as I paid and then paused for a moment, glancing at the pint. "I'll bring it to ya', aye."

Sitting in front of the emergency exit on an overnight flight really is not a good idea. The stiff and non-negotiable 90 degree position I endured on the transcontinental flight contributed to my 31 hour sleepless travel/first day in Derry. I enjoyed a really great first day, however, and my flights were on time-- so no complaints.

Ireland is really green. Evergreen, wintergreen, grass green, Jolly-Green Giant green, sage, chartreuse and any other greens I left out. During the 1.5 hour bus ride from Belfast to Derry, I was assaulted with the intensity of the color and beauty of the countryside and it was incredible. This doesn't surprise me in the least because...

It really does rain here all the time. In Lancaster, South Carolina, or Florida, we speak about rain in this way. "Oh, it's going to rain on Wednesday and Thursday." In Ireland, one would probably say, "Och, did you hear we might get some sun for a minute on Saturday?" Granted, I have only been here for 2 days, but so far I have experienced approximately 5 minutes of timid sunshine and the rest under heavy clouds and various degrees of rain. Temperatures range in the 60's.

Moving overseas is a really humbling experience. What I mean is that we take for granted things like reaching into your wallet and knowing how much each coin is worth. Plugging things into a wall and knowing that the electricity matches up. Or picking up a phone and knowing how to make a call. Derry (officially a part of the UK) sits close to the Republic of Ireland border, which means on any given call, you may or may not have to dial a 0. or a 7. or a 07. or a 44. It all just depends on whether or not it is a cell or landline, and if it is a UK or Republic of Ireland number and where the call is coming from. Process of elimination usually works eventually. I do have a brand new phone and phone number. If you do plan or need to call me from the U.S. you can dial 011 44 ...dang. I didn't memorize my number and I can't find the little card that tells me. See what I mean? It takes a bit of time to get the basics down. Even in a Western European, English speaking country...

Speaking of language, the Irish accent really is thick and hard to understand at times but definitely neat:) My friend Jason Keeling cautioned me that old men are virtually incomprehensible to Americans. A seasoned Irish gentleman sat beside me on a bus today and said something to me. I have no idea what that something was. I've learned a few things regarding language in these past two days. Aye is used frequently to agree with someone or to affirm that you are listening to them, a boot is the trunk of a car, the yard entails the part of your property that is covered in concrete or hard dirt while the garden refers to anything green. Craic (Sp?...pronounced "crack") is used frequently and takes on several different meanings. For example, "Hows the craic?" means, "How is it going?" or "It was good craic" means "It was a lot of fun" or "Do you have any craic" means "What's good?" Also very important to remember...when someone takes another person to their flat (apartment) in their car, they are giving them a lift, "giving them a ride" entails something entirely different. I forgot this yesterday when I spoke Billly McCorley, who now happens to be my landlord. Brilliant.

There really is so much more that I could say, but this wee bit will do for now. I'm having a great time already and even though I know I am in the euphoric stage of culture shock where Ireland can do no wrong, I have a good feeling about this one.

I also believe that it is fitting to give many thanks to Jim Skelly (visiting professor at Magee and resident director of BCA...we met at a conference in DC in May) and John MacCrossan (my Rotary host counselor) for helping me get situated and settled here. It has made my these first moments exceedingly more comfortable and easy.

Stay tuned for more on the living situation, climate, school, city, etc.

2 comments:

Janus said...

Sam,

How wonderful it must all be! I can't wait to hear more of your adventures!

We'll have to find some way for me to see you some time over there [read: impossible :( ]...I might study abroad again next fall, actually.

Keep me posted. Also, it may or may not be worth it to you...but I think you can get a voip set up over there...if it's like ukraine (and it by all rights should be cheaper than ukraine), then it'd be like 30/month, for which you'd get unlimited calls to and from USA? Anyway, my guess is that you're about 75% ready to NOT maintain extensive US contact, and 25% sad and wishing it were easier to contact US on a regular basis? But thought I'd mention it in case I were wrong.

Anyway, I'm glad you're over there safely. Please keep me updated on the insanity!

Red Pen Reflections from Brianna Crowley said...

I love your clever quips and tiny cultural tidbits (although I did know the "boot" thing and the "aye" from my various and assundary readings over the years.

It was so good to talk with you! I'm also glad to hear that you are safe and have a permanent place to stay and that you found the chocolate aisle. These things are crucial to a new environmet and must not be underestimated in importance.

I love you and will avidly continue reading your blogs about the Guiness and land of the gold pot at the end of the rainbow.