Sunday, September 21, 2008

An H In Derry is Never Silent

An “H” in Derry is never silent. I had a good-natured debate over this yesterday after I said, “Pretty soon I will have a whole (h)ERB garden in my window.” Which was met with laughter. I suppose I can concede the point. It drives me nuts when people arbitrarily decide to create a silent H, like in the word human, or huge. Homage can really go either way but regardless, I can’t quite bring myself to use an aspirated H in herbal tea or to sing "hayche, I, J,K, elemeno, P".

While I’ve made mention of tea, it is highly customary to offer tea to a guest when they first arrive at your house, or after dinner, or in the afternoon. Typically it is Irish tea, which I enjoy with milk and no sugar, but certainly not black as I enjoy all of my green, rooibos and (h)erbal teas.

I have no particular theme to explore this time around. Here are a few vignettes of life in Derry at present.



This is the street I live on, and my house is the one with the purple door. For the past several months, I’ve been quite taken with the color purple, so it only seemed fitting. I currently inhabit a cozy little room with a view of the River Foyle, but I will be moving into a larger room when one of my roommates moves out next week. Then, I will be living with an Irish girl from Armagh, an Italian girl, another girl of unknown origin, and perhaps another American girl in my program.

I visited an ancient stone fort (circa time of Christ) about 10 minutes away from where I live, which also happens to be in Co. Donegal in the Republic of Ireland. The absolute silence struck me, but it was the view that knocked me out. Additionally, I have to note that this fort has no entrance fee, guard rails, tour guides or souvenir shops. It is basically chillin’ in someone’s back yard and you just sort of…drive a few back roads (which are basically the only kind of roads that exist in Donegal) and then walk up to it. Incredible. The video doesn't do it justice. Sigh.


I’ve lost a few pounds since I’ve been here. Certainly of the sterling variety, but also weight wise. For the record, weight is often referred to in measurements of “stones” in Derry. I haven’t quite figured out the conversion rate of pounds to stones, but I think it’s something like 13 lbs.= 1 stone? I’m open to corrections for anyone who actually knows. I have approximately 2 out of 6 pairs of pants that fit me well enough to wear. This is sort of normal for me when I move someplace new. I discovered a fabulous chocolate aisle in the grocery store yesterday, so I suspect the situation will rectify itself soon enough. If not however, I’ll enjoy it and go on a shopping trip!

I’ve now officially registered for classes, which begin on Tuesday. Admittedly, the chaos of registration was a bit of a shock, and suffice it to say that I appreciate the systematic approach of American universities. I welcome the onset of an academic routine and am looking forward to my classes: Peace and Conflict Studies Research and The Northern Ireland Conflict.

UK reality TV is, for lack of the existence of a sufficient word...astounding. When Women Rule the World was a real treat this afternoon. 7 women. 8 men. 1 queen. I'll let you imagine the rest. I guarantee you cannot make this stuff up. It's real.

Classes this week and off to the Rotary District conference in Sligo this weekend!

2 comments:

Red Pen Reflections from Brianna Crowley said...

I want to watch British reality TV and drink strong tea with milk!...oh wait, I will! Just have to live through the torture that is my job for three more months...but I exaggerate as normal. I simply cannot wait to be experiencing something new...and not just the newest teenage slang word for "cool." Cheers my dear!

hanneke said...

I watched 3 hours worth of Arabic soap operas last night. I think 2 Egyptian and 1 Syrian. It was pretty much up to me to "imagine the rest". I stayed the night with the midwife from my town's clinic and her mother. They're city folk. She commutes, if you will, to work everyday.

Oh Sam Sam... This will be funny to track our simultaneous international adventures. I have quite the feeling that they will be fairly dissimilar.

I love imagining you in your new phase of life. I'm so excited for you.

ps - We'll work on Barcelona... or something.