Saturday, February 28, 2009

Pancake Day

Lent has begun. I was alerted to this fact as I walked downtown and saw that many people had the sign of a cross in ash on their foreheads signifying repentance. I thought about practicing Lent this year, giving something up that I will really miss, like chocolate or Facebook. I felt like I was caught off-guard, though, since Lent started and I didn't know it. Then I felt like starting Lent late would be cheating somehow and I missed going to a Mass and I didn't even know the day before was "pancake day" until it was too late and I had already cooked a dinner of chicken pasta.

Back home it must have been Fat Tuesday, or Fausnaught Day in Lancaster. Fausnaught's are the Pennsylvania Dutch way of celebrating Fat Tuesday by eating doughnuts without holes. Very tasty and I could have really gone for one of those. Or two.

So, I guess I'm skipping Lent altogether and will attend an Easter service, in keeping a tradition that I am familiar with. But I think tonight some chocolate pancakes are in order for tonight...

No comments: