Monday, November 24, 2008

Fireplaces and France

Lately I've been devoting most of my time to my term papers. This means that I will be one of four places, the library, wi-fi lab, Peace Program study room, or my faithful old chair by the fireplace. Sometimes Kevin and I pretend that we will study together, but mostly we just end up drinking tea and chatting with his family by their woodstove.

Speaking of fireplaces and woodstoves, my housemate Heather learned how to build a fire in our livingroom fireplace with turf (bog from the Irish countryside), coal, wood and firesticks. This means when I am freezing cold (sweaters, socks, blankets and heat notwithstanding), I have one more option other than the shower to warm up. And yes, I sometimes hop in the shower to warm up. You would too if it hailed on and off from daybreak to nighttime with gale-force winds, as it did yesterday. Kevin and I decided we had to brave it to get out of our houses and watched Quantam Solace, which neither of us enjoyed besides making fun of it and eating popcorn. We were late and it was Bond or some sleazy comedy, which nearly works out to be the same thing depending on how you look at it. It's sunny today. I may mosey on downtown.

However, I did have a chance to sneak away to Dublin and France last weekend. First impressions of Dublin is that it is way bigger than I expected. Spread out big. No skyscrapers as such, just a huge expanse of city. I'll be going there again shortly and will give a more mature and experienced second impression. For now I'll throw up a couple Nice/Monaco/Monte Carlo France pictures. France is fantastic. The lifestyle, the people, the cities, the countryside, the food, the wine, the cafes, the coastline, the language, the fashion... O la la. France, je t'aime.



No comments: