Sunday, October 26, 2008

This Past Week















I gave my first Rotary presentation this past week at Strabane-Lifford, a club which prides itself on being cross-border (Strabane=N. Ireland, Lifford=Republic of Ireland). All went well and I was able to meet another Sam Martin (above). He invited myself and John MacCrossan to his house after the meeting for tea, where I met his lovely wife and was given a tour of the house and serenaded with no less than 3 different types of traditional flutes.

Also this past week, John Hume came and spoke to my class. John Hume is a recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize, Gandhi Peace Prize, and the Martin Luther King Award, the only recipient of the three major peace awards. He was one of the key players in the Nothern Ireland peace process and a native of Derry. He spoke briefly about the principles that guided him to pursuing peace by peaceful means in the midst of the Troubles and I was able to capture a few snapshots.








The realization that I have two major term papers due in early December hit this week. What the heck have I been doing for 8 weeks?!?! I had a brief moment of panic and then went to the library where I checked out a mountain of books, which made me feel like I was making progress. I also purchased two notebooks and a highlighter, which also made me feel studious. I think for my Peace and Conflict Research class I will focus on the history and effectiveness of the Non-violent active peace movement. For my Conflict of N. Ireland class, I am going to complete a paper on the role of community relations during the Troubles, now, and the future of community relations in the peace process in N. Ireland. If you have any resources, let me know!

I also joined the trampoline club here at Magee. Yes. A trampoline club. Now, I like you, was wondering what exactly that MEANS. Will I be confined to jumping safely in the middle and only allowed to try new things (or in my case, old things!) with a harness and a watchful eye? Not so, my friends. We set up 2 competition-standard trampolines, which means that they propel you much higher and faster than any in-ground or backyard trampoline will, and the lady leading it is a coach by profession. We also set up a type of trampoline that I not only have never seen but never heard of. It is the equivalent of vaulting with a trampoline. Not only was I allowed to do flips (no harnesses or an American litigation-fear-based caution), but I was challenged with a few new skills. I also got called out on the fact that I had been a competitive gymnast, and not a competitive trampoline-ist? I had a blast and have been sore for about 3 days now. Can't wait for this coming Wednesday! Hello, Stress, I will jump and flip you into oblivion!

Other good moments from this past week...

Playing and singing out at open mic night at Mason's pub after taco night at Adriana's...

Watching the match between the Celtics and Manchester United and picking out the cute footballers from Man. U. with Kevin's mom...

Enjoying a dinner of Indian food with three Japanese students in N. Ireland...

Buying my first pair of boots, European style!

Receiving my absentee ballot, finally! Check, check, check. Send tomorrow.

2 comments:

Red Pen Reflections from Brianna Crowley said...

LIfe sounds lovely for you over there! Can't wait to experience it all with you for a bit.

hanneke said...

Thought you said
"boobs European style" at first. Glad you didn't :)