Saturday, June 20, 2009

Dad

Father's Day is tomorrow and this blog is dedicated Bryan L. Martin. Dad.

The garage door closes and the sound of heavy boots hitting the cold pavement floor echoes through the kitchen. A few minutes later, Dad comes in covered in dirt, grease and soot from a hard days' work and usually stripped of the soiled clothing. We'd listen for that sound and hope that our friends weren't over when Dad made his way upstairs to the shower in his whitey tighties. There were several memorable and unfortunate run-ins of this sort, but it was the way things were and we still have a laugh about those times.

Dad's work is really inextricable from Dad. He loves his work. Unless the truck breaks down and he is at a job site an hour away, or the check that will pay the bills still hasn't been paid on the promised pay date, or worst of all---the government interferes with rigid rules and layers of incompetent bureaucracy. But most of the time, the thrill of winning the bid on a big job, or finding several tons of copper at the site, or running errands with Frodo the ever faithful Golden Retreiver by his side makes Dad's day's work enjoyable. And his experience, expertise and creativity is of a kind largely unknown and definitely under-appreciated. A year ago I met a guy who frequently runs into Dad at his work and he said to me, "You're Bryan Martin's daughter? I have a lot of respect for your Dad" and continued to tell me how you could just tell he loved what he was doing and that he knew they could count on him for honest and dependable business. I was so proud of him. No matter what job I have had, like it or not, I feel deeply that to do the job well and to be dependable is a matter of personal pride and joy. This is not something I came up with, it is something I watched and learned.

My parent's promised us we would go to Disney World when Jenae turned 5. Her 22 birthday was last week and we have yet to set foot as a family into Magic Kingdom. Nobody much cared though because family vacation was a priority for Dad. Tent camping and canoeing down creeks in the mountains of PA, running around East Coast beaches with my sisters, and riding in the back of the pickup truck to these destinations are some of my fondest memories. The fun was in throwing ourselves into nature and fighting with each other (and sometimes cooperating) but spending the time with each other nonetheless. We were after adventures and fun didn't depend on how much money we could spend or if we stayed in a nice hotel. I grew up learning that quality time spent with others was the bedrock of good fun and good relationships. There is also no substitute for time and encounter with others in nature.

Dad and I argue with each other about politics, religion, and social issues. In some ways, we just like the fight but conviction is deeply rooted in both of us. My sisters and Mom shake their heads and say how we are so much alike, which is exactly NOT what I want to hear when I feel he is being so stubborn and unrelenting! They are right though. We are very similar and I think it is also a great strength and weakness on both our parts. At the end of the day though, Dad cares about others and loves his family and takes care of his community--all of the things that make politics, religion and social issues worth anything in the first place. I hope that in my life I serve as selflessly and quietly as he has.

Dad has never really been a phone person. Unfortunately, when I moved away from home and went to university, traveled, and pursued various jobs, 'catching up' on the day to day things is somewhat difficult for this reason. Dad has also never really been much of a computer person, though in recent years he's come to terms with the benefits of fast and modern communication. Even still, I was really surprised to hear that Dad kept up with my blog regularly this year. He reads every single entry. Knowing this fact is such an encouragement to me and just one more way that I feel supported by him.

Dad, I know that you will be reading this at some point and I want you to know that the most important things I have ever learned in life I have learned from you. Happy Father's Day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Samantha, Your dad told me that your blog "nailed it" re: all you said about relationships and how he feels etc. He also said that he is sooo very blessed to have such wonderful daughters! He is so proud of you and you touched his heart with your Father's Day blog. Because dad doesn't email, I thought I'd post a comment. :-)
LOVE YA! ~Mom

Red Pen Reflections from Brianna Crowley said...

This is the first chance I had to read this blog, having been told of its presence by dad, who surprisingly enough usually alerts me to the most recent post. This is impressive particularly because I am on the computer daily and usually check your blog a few times a week. Dad must check it even more to beat me to the punch. He's been ratted out :)

But seriously, upon reading your dedication, I teared up a bit and felt the ol' "tug on the heart strings" followed by a certain feeling that my Father's Day gift (an antler lamp for the cabin) although delivered in person, had only a fraction of the impact that your words effected. Damn it if I can never seem to nail the right gift for Dad! He is the hardest to get followed closely by your nomadic self.

Speaking of, we are excited to have your presence on this continent soon. Give us an email or call a few weeks before so we can strategize. Much love...